Franklin Graham, a well-known Christian missionary and evangelist is best known for his revival trips as well as relief activities. He is also the President/ Chief Executive Officer for two Christian relief institutions. Are you interested in learning more about this American evangelist and his life? You can read the rest of this article to learn more about his childhood, family and career.
About Franklin Graham
In 1982, Franklin Graham was ordained. He was elevated from a layperson to a clergyman. He began speaking in public places as a Christian author, missionary, and orator ever since he was ordained. He currently serves as the President/CEO of The Samaritan’s Purse, and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. Franklin’s anti-Islamic remarks and disdainful attitude toward the LGBT community are criticized.
He supported the COVID-19 vaccine very recently. He said that it was similar to the oil and wine used by the good Samaritan to save the life of the traveler.
Family and Early Life
Franklin was born to Ruth Graham and Billy Graham, both in Asheville, North Carolina. His father, Billy Graham was an evangelist. Franklin dropped out of Stony Brook School in New York. He continued his education in North Carolina. He was then expelled from Le Tourneau College in Texas. After his dismissal, he accompanied Bob Price, the founder of Samaritan’s Purse on his six-week trip to Asia. He decided to do world relief work during the trip.
In 1974, he received an Associate in Science degree from Montreat-Anderson college. He also received a BA degree from the State University of Appalachian. Franklin married Jane Austin Cunningham on April 7, 1974. They have four children: Jane Austin Graham Lynch (William Franklin Graham IV), Roy Austin Graham and Edward Bell Graham. Jane and Franklin are also blessed with eleven grandchildren.
Major Milestones and Careers
Important milestones in Franklin Graham’s life include:
- He was elected President of Samaritan’s Purse in 1979.
- He published his first book, Bob Pierce: This one Thing I Do in 1983.
- In 1995, he was appointed Vice President of BEGA.
- He also published his autobiography Rebel With a Cause: Finally Comfortable Being Graham that year.
- He was appointed Chief Executive Officer of BEGA in 2000.
These are a few things you didn’t know about Franklin Graham
- Franklin was attacked in 2009 for drawing remuneration both from Samaritan’s Purse as well as BEGA. He then decried the remuneration received from BEGA.
- Following the attacks on the US on September 11, 2001, he criticized Islam at various times.
- Franklin supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq by the US.
- He made comments about Barack Obama in 2010 and was skeptical of his Christian identity.
- Franklin supported Donald Trump’s rise to power and opposed his impeachment proceedings.
- He is against all forms of same-sex relationships, and he hates the LGBT community.
- Franklin opposed a bill to ban conversion therapy.
- He supported the North Carolina’s first amendment that forbade homosexual relationships.
- He supported Putin’s Russian Anti-Gay Law
- Due to his Facebook campaign, which received more than 70,000 likes, Duke University had to suspend the Friday Muslim call to Prayer.
- He had to cancel his UK tour in 2022 due to strong opposition from the LGBT community at the venues.
Franklin Graham’s Net Worth
According to the latest updates, Franklin Graham’s net worth is approximately $10 million. His primary source of income is two international Christian relief organisations. He is the President/CEO of both of them.